Butlers Barracks was constructed by the British after the War of 1812. The barracks was strategically constructed on the south western edge of the military lands in order to be out of reach from American guns. The site was named after John Butler and his Loyalist soldiers the Butler’s Rangers, who had helped to found the town of Niagara at the end of the American Revolution. The Barracks has served as a military facility for the past 150 years. It was used as a training facility for soldiers who fought in the Boer War, World War One and Two and in the Korean War. Four original British colonial buildings and one Canadian built structure can still be seen today. Historical markers have been created to guide visitors on a walking tour of the grounds, which are open from May to October. The Barracks is located in historic Niagara-on-the-Lake, and is surrounded by John and King Street. Parking is available on John Street.